Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza with Roasted Eggplant Purée

I have been on a major health kick for the past couple of weeks. I have always eaten very healthy but lately I have been really conscious of what I am eating. I noticed that I have had double the amount of energy ever since I changed a few things in my diet. It is unreal how what you eat really affects the way you feel. I also recently got a juicer for my birthday from my mom and I have been juicing non-stop. I love it!!! It is so easy to do and you literally can put any type of fruit or vegetable that you desire. I have been really into beets, carrots, celery and apples. If you are looking to get a little bit of energy without drinking caffeine, juices will do the trick.

Tonight I decided to try out a new recipe that is not only healthy, but also vegetarian. I made cauliflower pizza with roasted eggplant purée and roasted fennel. The final result was an absolute success. The cauliflower crust paired perfectly with the creamy eggplant purée and the fennel added that extra depth of flavor to the dish. This is a great dish for two, or if you had a killer workout beforehand, you can make it personally for yourself. (That is what I did).

Here is how I did it:




Ingredients:
- 1 head of cauliflower (cooked and finely diced)
- 3.5 ounces garlic and herb goat cheese at room temperature
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 fennel
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 5 kalamata olives
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top of the eggplant and cut in half, long ways. Place on a baking sheet and rub 2 tbs of olive oil, salt and pepper and a 1/2 tsp of oregano. Bake for 45 minutes until the eggplant is tender. Set aside to cool. (I roasted 2 eggplants to have extra spread for another dish later on). Once the eggplant is cooled, scoop out the inside, discard the skin and place the "meat" in a blender. Blend until completely smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.


Place a pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil. Take your cauliflower and cut into bite size pieces. Place the cauliflower in the boiling water and cook for 15-18 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Drain and set aside. Once the cauliflower is cooled, dice into fine pieces. Place the chopped cauliflower in a bowl and mix in the goat cheese, beaten egg, salt and pepper and 1 tsp of oregano. Spread the "crust" on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form it in any shape you like. The "crust" should be about a 1/4 of an inch thick. 


Place the "crust" in the 400 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. Crank up the oven to broil after and broil for 5-10 minutes until the "crust" is lightly brown. For the roasted fennel, cut half of a fennel into thin strips and place on a baking sheet and drizzle 1 tbs of olive oil, chopped garlic, and salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.


To assemble your pizza, spread the eggplant purée like you would tomato sauce on a pizza. Then, evenly spread your roasted fennel overtop of the purée as well as your olives. Finally, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of oregano and 1/4 tsp of hot chili pepper. Place the pizza back in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.


Cut into 1/4 slices and serve. This pizza is meant to be eaten with a fork and a knife so don't try to pick it up with your hands. This pizza is a great alternative to your typical Italian style pizza. Make this on a Sunday evening when your in your PJ's and watching TV and sit back and enjoy yourself. You won't feel bad about eating this kind of pizza. 

Anne 





No comments:

Post a Comment