Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mussels with Fennel and White Wine with Garlic Rye Bread

I went on a field trip today.... to Whole Foods!!! I love Whole Foods so much, I feel like a kid in a candy store when I'm there. The food is gorgeous, the people are nice, and there is a hot food bar.. What more can you ask for? Today I went with a few of my friends and I literally spent two hours there (kind of excessive). While I was perusing the isles, I walked by the seafood market and was immediately drawn to the mussels.

I have a sick obsession with mussels. When I go to France to see my family, we have mussels at least one night of the week. They are the perfect meal for a summer night and you can make them in so many different ways. Plus, they are the easiest thing to make. Typically in France, we have mussels with french fries (moules frites). The french fries soak up the broth from the mussels and it is absolutely mouth watering.

I decided to make mussels with fennel and white wine because it is refreshing and light. I was pressured not to make French Fries because I was surrounded by all the Whole Foods health nuts so I purchased Rye bread to go along side the mussels.

This dish is perfect for any night of the week. If you want something light you can just have the mussels or if you want something heartier you can have it over pasta. It's up to you!

Here is how I did it:


Mussels with Fennel and White Wine
 with Garlic Rye Bread 

Ingredients:
-3 Pounds of Mussels
-3/4 cup white wine
-2 small fennel bulbs
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Pieces of rye bread
- 5 tbs chopped cilantro

Place a large pot on the stove. Add 3 1/2 tbs of olive oil. Chop onion and sauté in the olive oil. Chop up your garlic and add it to the onions. Season with salt and pepper and chili flakes. For the fennel, cut the bulb of the fennel in half and then slice thinly lengthwise. Add to the onions and cook until the fennel is tender.


For the mussels, make sure that you either buy the mussels already washed and de-bearded or you do it yourself. I bought mine already prepped and just made sure to rewash them when I got home and check for any open ones. Once they are washed, add them to the fennel and add your white wine. Cover your mussels and cook for around 3-5 minutes or until your mussels are open.


While your mussels are cooking, turn the oven on to broil. Place three pieces of rye bread on a baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining olive oil and salt. Broil for 2 minute until the bread is toasted. Cut a piece of garlic and rub it on your bread once you have taken it out of the oven.


When your mussels are open, sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve!


Anne 



No comments:

Post a Comment