Monday, September 2, 2013

Paris-Week 1

So I arrived in Paris last Monday and I have been nonstop ever since. My flight to Paris was incredibly easy, it was almost too perfect. I arrived at the airport and it only took me 15 minutes to check my bags and go through security. That is so unlike USA airports. When I landed in Paris, I took the train and got off at Cite Universite which is the dorms where I am staying for the next four months. It was so great because they had my room all ready for me and all I needed was to get my keys and settle in.


Well my dorm is an International dorm where there are ESCE students from all over the world that are staying there. It's awesome! I feel like I am a freshman all over again and I am getting to meet all of these new people from all over the world. I've been able to make friends with students from Germany, Brazil, Poland, Italy, Latvia, Mexico and Holland. It's incredible!



My first night night was pretty casual, we all went to the park near the dorms and sat and drank wine. It was great to get to know everyone. The next day I spent the majority of my time shopping for things that I didn't have in my room. They don't provide any dishes or silverware for us so I had to buy all of that myself which was kind of annoying. That night though we had a huge family dinner where the German girls made Snitzle for the whole house. It was great! It was my first time having it and I really enjoyed it.




From Wednesday till Friday we had orientation for ESCE which is the school that I am studying at. It is located literally 5 minutes by foot from the Eiffel Tower. You can see the Eiffel Tower from the school which is pretty amazing. I have a feeling that while I'm in class, when I won't want to pay attention, I am just going to look outside the window at the Eiffel Tower. 

The first afternoon I begged my dorm mates to do Crepes under the Eiffel Tower. I know it's such a touristy thing to do but I just had to! We spent a couple hours around that area lounging by the park and eating our crepes. It was so relaxing. 


That night I went to see two good friends of mine in Paris. I know them from spending my summers with my family in Piriac. I haven't seen them in over two years since I haven't been to Piriac in that time and it was so nice to catch up and talk. I ended up spending that night at my friend Clotildes house because it was late and I didn't want to take the metro at night. Well I'm glad I spent the night because the next morning, my other friend Gaetan took me home on his scooter. It's not every day that you can say you toured Paris on a scooter. 


Gaetan invited me to go visit him in Lille that weekend because it was the big Braderie and the start of school so all of the students were coming back that weekend. I decided to go and I took a train that Friday. Before that though I did a tour earlier that morning with ESCE on a boat and saw all of Paris. It was really beautiful. I've been really lucky so far with the weather here. Every day has been beautiful and warm!! It definitely makes me love Paris even more. 

Later that evening I arrived in Lille and immediately met with Gaetan. We had dinner and went straight to his friends house to meet everyone. I am not used to going out like they do. They don't leave to go to the bar until 3am.. That's what time I normally get home, and usually it's even earlier! Well we left for the bar at 3am and by the time it was 6am, I had to go home. I couldn't take it anymore. But nonetheless it was a great night and I really enjoyed getting to know his friends. 


The next day we slept late and left in the afternoon to meet up with his friends for lunch. The Braderie is a huge flee market where people sell everything from clothes to dishes. It was huge! There were so many people and so many things to see. We did a short walkthrough and then left shortly after because there were too many people. It was really fun though and I am glad I went and got to experience it. 


I got back to Paris late on Sunday. In all, my first week in Paris was amazing!!! I already met some pretty amazing people and I am so excited for what's to come in the next four months. My cousin Ariane is arriving on Wednesday and staying for a couple of days so I can't wait for that!! 

Anne


1 comment: