Saturday, October 6, 2012

Croque Madame

A very popular meal to eat for lunch in France is a Croque Monsieur. You take baguette, ham and cheese and broil it until the cheese is melted and crispy. I used to love eating this sandwich when I was growing up. The baguette becomes so crispy when it is baked while the cheese becomes gooey on the inside but super crispy on the outside.

Today, I decided to make my own version of the open faced sandwich but instead of making a Croque Monsieur, I made a Croque Madame which is exactly the same sandwich but you place a fried egg on top. I also don't eat ham anymore so I replaced the ham with roasted turkey and topped it with smoked gouda.

Here is how I did it:
Croque Madame


Ingredients: 
- 2 thick slices of multigrain bread
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 slices of roasted turkey
- 2 slices of smoked gouda
- 2 large eggs
- tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper

Set you oven on broil. Place both slices of bread on a baking pan and spread 1 tbs butter on both slices of bread. Place 2 slices of turkey on each bread slice along with 1 slice of cheese. Pop it in the oven for 7 minutes until the cheese is melted and crispy.


Heat up a frying pan with 1 tbs of olive oil and fry 2 eggs sunny side up. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the eggs and separate both eggs so you can place 1 egg on each slice of bread. Serve immediately.


My favorite thing to do when I make this sandwich is break the yolk immediately and have the bread soak it all up! This sandwich is absolutely delicous and a great meal to make on the weekends and for your friends.

Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment