Monday, November 19, 2012

Muesli Bars

This past weekend I ran my first marathon. I started training in June and I cannot believe that it is finally over. The race went so well! I had no pain and didn't hit what runners call "The wall". My time was 3:35:45 which I am so unbelievably surprised and proud of. I guess my training and pre race meal really paid off! The week leading up to the marathon I ate whatever carb I wanted and drank double the amount of water that I normally drink. The night before the race I went to Ralph's Italian restaurant in South Philadelphia and binged on their seafood pasta and loaded up on bread and butter. It was fantastic. I ended my night with a large piece of pumpkin pie with a dollop of whiped cream. I was feeling comfortably full and ready to race!



My parents and sister came to cheer for me during the marathon and after the race, they greeted me with warm embraces and plenty of positive comments. My mom also brought me her amazing muesli bars that she makes for me all the time. These bars are so delicious and absolutely addicting!!! I can't stop at one bar, I usually eat 3 or 4 and then I have to remove myself from where the bars are because I would eat the whole batch. For my post race meal, I decided that all I wanted were these muesli bars. They are the perfect meal/snack after a hard workout. They aren't too sweet and they keep you full but not feeling bloated. The protein also helps your muscles to recover quickly.

I spent the rest of my afternoon on the couch munching on my mom's muesli bars. I wasn't felling too sore or tired which I was very surprised about. My mom said that it would take about 48 hours to actually feel the pain which I am not looking forward to. However, I am completely hooked on running  marathons now and I cannot wait to run my second one! I was only 45 seconds away from qualifying for the Boston Marathon which is so exciting but also such a tease... At least it will keep me motivated to train!



Muesli Bar



Ingredients:
-5 cups old fashion oats
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup protein powder
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 cups of toasted chopped walnuts
- 2 cups of dried fruit
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 1/2 honey
- 1 1/2 creamy peanut butter

Preheat your over to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together. In a pot over heat, add the honey and peanut butter and mix until they are combined. Pour the warm honey and peanut butter over the dry ingredients and mix together.

Pour the oat mixture into a large baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly toasted on top. Set aside and once it is completely cooled, cut into squares.


I eat these plain as a snack or for breakfast, I like to sprinkle it over yogurt!

Anne



1 comment: