Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake

During the holidays, my family and I typically go to my cousin's house to celebrate. My aunt knows how to make the most perfect comfort food and I know that every time I go there, I am going to leave with a very full belly and a smile on my face. For thanksgiving this year, she made succulent turkey with rich stuffing. We also had carrot ginger soup made by my cousin, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, fresh cranberry sauce and brussels sprouts with toasted pecans. The meal was perfect! We spent all day sitting at the dining room table talking and laughing and enjoying ourselves. It was probably my favorite Thanksgiving to date.

For dessert, I typically am the one to make it. I decided that instead of making the standard pumpkin pie, that I would make a pumpkin cheesecake. I woke up bright and early on Thanksgiving morning to make the cake and spent all day in the kitchen to make sure that it was perfect.

Here is how I did it:

Pumpkin Cheesecake 


Ingredients: 
- 12 tbs butter
- 2 1/2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs 
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 18 ounces cream cheese softened
- 20 ounces pumpkin puree 
- 1/2 cup sour cream 
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbs cinnamon 
- 1/4 tbs cloves 
- 1/4 tbs ginger 
- 1 tsp salt 

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter and incorporate 1/4 cup of sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press the mixture into the bottom and the sides of a spring form pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. 

In a bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Once the mixture is well incorporated, add in the eggs, one egg at a time. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the spring form pan. Bake between 2:00 and 2:15. The cheese cake will be firm but the center will still be a little loose. 

Let the cheesecake set for an hour before removing it from the spring pan. Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream. 




I was nervous that my cheesecake wasn't going to stand up to the amazing dinner that we just had at my aunt's. Thankfully, everyone seemed to really enjoy the dessert and it was the perfect way to end the meal.

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment