Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Quinoa and Kale stuffed Acorn Squash

If you haven't noticed by now, I make a lot of dishes with quinoa and kale. I love both of these ingredients because they are not only good for you, but they are filling! Today's recipe was inspired by the season. I went to Trader Joes the other day to pick up my groceries for the week and when I walked into the produce section, all that was plentifully available was butternut squash, chestnuts, and acorn squash. I have always stumbled upon recipes that call for acorn squash but I was always hesitant to try them out. I finally decided that I was going to buy one and come up with my own recipe. I also ended up buying butternut squash and chestnuts that day.

When I think of acorn squash, I think of warm and rich flavors. I decided that I was going to roast the squash with olive oil and honey because the honey will help caramelize the squash. I also chose to use curry in my quinoa because it is warm and flavorful. I finally added chili powder when toasting my pumpkin seeds because it gives a little kick to the entire dish.

Here is how I did it:

Quinoa and Kale stuffed Acorn Squash 


Ingredients
- 1 acorn squash 
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup red or white quinoa 
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots 
- 1/2 cube chicken bouillabaisse 
- 1 tsp curry powder 
- 1 1/2 cup water 
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup frozen kale that is defrosted  
- salt and pepper 
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 ounces goat cheese 

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry you acorn squash. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds on the inside. Place on a baking sheet and pour 1 1/2 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs honey and salt and pepper over the squash. Flip the squash skin side up and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the squash after 30 minutes and cook for another 15 minutes with the flesh side up. Set aside to cool.



Meanwhile, place quinoa, dried apricots, chicken bouillabaisse, curry powder and water in a pot. Bring the quinoa to a boil and then cover and put heat on low. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until quinoa is fully cooked. 

In a pan, place the remaining olive oil, chopped onions and garlic and sauté until slightly brown. Add in the defrosted kale and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. In another sautee pan, place the pumpkin seeds and chili powder and toast for 5-7 minutes. Make sure you don't burn your seeds.



Place the kale and quinoa mixture in a large bowl and mix together. Add in the pumpkin seeds and set aside. 

Fill the acorn squash with the quinoa mixture and crumble the goat cheese evenly on both halves of the squash. Bake in the oven until the cheese is slightly melted and the squash and quinoa are warmed through.


I made this meal for one of my best friends Jenna. We love to work out and eat together. I decided to make this for her because we had a killer work out earlier together and we both needed something filling and healthy to help us recover. We paired the squash with a little side salad. The meal was great and it was just the perfect amount!


Anne



1 comment: