Friday, September 28, 2012

"Greek" Pizza

My go to place to purchase my groceries is Trader Joes. They have such a large variety of healthy foods to choose from and they have products that I can never find anywhere else. I love to buy their edamame hummus and black bean salsa there! Every time I go food shopping I always pass by their pre-made pizza dough and I am always curious to try it. Last week when I went food shopping I finally made the jump and bought the whole wheat pizza dough to try it out. 

For my first attempt to make pizza, I decided to make my version of a "Greek" pizza. Basically anything that involves feta in it means it's Greek to me. I also added garlic roasted grape tomatoes that I made myself and frozen spinach. This pizza is so easy to make and is great for a day where you want to carb up! It also is great for any season because all of the ingredients can be purchased all year round. 

Here is how I did it: 



Ingredients:
- Trader Joes whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbs chopped garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 packed of frozen spinach
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- Salt and pepper 
-1/4 tsp hot pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano 

Preheat your over to 400 degrees. On a baking tray, add cherry tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes until the tomatoes burst. When you see that they are blistered, smash them with the back of a spoon. 


Place your spinach in the microwave for 4 minutes to defrost. Once the spinach is defrosted, squeeze out all of the extra liquid. 


Chop up your onion in thin slices and sauté with olive oil and salt and pepper until they are caramelized. 

Once all of your prep is done, roll out your pizza dough. Take out pizza dough 20 minutes before you roll it out so that it is room temperature. Roll it out with flour until it is 12 inches in diameter and place on a pizza tray. 


To assemble your pizza, first spread your roasted tomato mixture like you would tomato sauce. Sprinkle your spinach evenly around as well as the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Crumble the feta evenly over the pizza and finally, sprinkle the Pecorino Romano cheese. Add the hot pepper and oregano at the end and for an added golden touch, drizzle olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes. 


I wish I had a wood fire oven to make this pizza. You can never get the crust really crispy when you bake it in a regular oven. I recommend that if you want your crust extra crispy, place the dough in the oven for a couple of minutes before you put the toppings on so that the bottom of the pizza crisps up. The topping however are fabulous! The saltiness of the feta works perfectly with the sweetness of the dough. Also, the spinach makes you feel like you are eating a lot more then you actually are. This pizza is definitely a hit! 

Anne

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a boyfriend? Because I would love to date you just so I can eat delicious food! Sorry for being forward!

    ReplyDelete