Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins with Toasted Coconut

My favorite part of fall is all of the yummy food. I love drinking hot apple cider and eating pumpkin pie when the weather gets a little chillier. Pumpkin pie is probably my favorite pie ever. Actually, anything thing that has to do with pumpkin flavors in the fall, I love. This year I just discovered the pumpkin spice coffee at WAWA and I fell in love with it! Needless to say,  I get it at least once a day.

Today I decided to make something with pumpkin, but I wanted to do something different. That is when I thought of making pumpkin quinoa muffins. I also love the taste of coconut with pumpkin so I added that in with my muffins. These muffins aren't too sweet and very healthy too!

Here is how I did it:
Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins with Toasted Coconut 

Dry Ingredients: 
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut

Wet Ingredients: 
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract

On a baking sheet, spread 1/2 cup of coconut and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes until the coconut is toasted. In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, including the coconut.


In a separate bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is fully incorporated.


Line a muffin tray with baking cups. Fill the cups to the top with batter. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut over each muffin. Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. This makes 16 muffins. 


These muffins are a great alternative to breakfast. They are slightly sweet without being a dessert. They also are filling because of the quinoa. I recommend spreading pumpkin butter or homemade cinnamon butter (cinnamon and sugar mixed with salted butter) on them. 

Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment