Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lentil Stewp with Avocado

In celebration of the last day of summer and the beginning of fall, I decided to make a meal dedicated to both seasons. I love to make soups and stews because I can make a large batch and reheat it for other meals. Today, I decided to make lentil stewp (thicket then soup but thinner then stew) with pieces of avocado. The lentil stewp is to celebrate the coming of fall and the avocado is remind us of the summer.

Here is how I made it. 

Lentil Stewp: 
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 pound of celery 
- 1 bell pepper 
- 8 cups of broth 
- 3 cups lentil 
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder

Place a deep pot over heat and add your olive oil. Chop up your onions and sauté in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Chop up your celery and bell pepper and add it to the onion. (You can add carrots or any type of vegetables you like to your stewp, I happen to have only celery and a bell pepper left in my fridge so thats what I used). Sauté your vegetables for 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper. 

Pour 3 cups of lentils in with the vegetables and pour 8 cups of broth. Add in garlic powder and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils have absorbed all of the broth. Serve with sliced avocado. 

The majority of what I eat is vegetarian so I made my stewp with vegetable broth and kept it 100% vegetarian. You can use chicken stock if you prefer the taste. I also like to add chili pepper flakes to give it a kick! The avocado really works well with this stewp because it adds a cool and creamy texture to the stewp. This is a great meal for when it gets cold but it also is light enough to enjoy in the warmer months.


No comments:

Post a Comment