Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Superfood Quinoa Salad

The other day, my best friend Taylor asked me to buy some ingredients for her while I was food shopping. She asked me to buy her the most random foods - kale, pomegranate seeds, and lemon. I wasn't sure what she was trying to make with all of these ingredients but I didn't bother asking. Little did I know, she would make the most delicious, filling, healthy salad ever!

The ingredients that I bought her were the ingredients she needed to make a salad that her mom found a recipe for. The recipe came off the a website called Glue and Glitter and it has four super food ingredients. I was immediately excited to try this salad because A). I LOVE Kale and B). I a huge fan a healthy recipes.


Superfood Quinoa Salad 


Here is how Taylor made it:

Ingredients: 
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cube chicken/ vegetable bouillabaisse
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion

Cook the quinoa in water with the bouillabaisse. Taylor made hers with a rice cooker, but you can make it in a pot over the stove and cover it. Cook for 15-20 minutes. When the quinoa is cooked, place in a container and let it cool.

In a separate bowl, add chopped kale, pomegranate seeds, avocado and red onion. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pour over the kale mixture. Let it sit to marinate.

Once the quinoa is completely cooled, combine all of the ingredients and chill for an hour. You can serve the salad immediately or you can keep it chilled over night. The longer that it stays chilled, the better the flavors incorporate!

I LOVE this salad! It is a great to make in large batches and eat for days. It makes you full but it is also completely healthy! This can be a side salad with a piece a fish or you can make it a meal!

Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment