Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Homemade Matzo Ball Soup!

Last night I went to my aunt and uncles home for Rosh Hashanah dinner. I had a wonderful night spending time with my family and eating delicious Jewish food! We had Matza ball soup, Challah, chicken, briquet, sweet potatoes and much much more. My favorite part of the meal the Matza ball soup! My aunt makes the best soup ever! Her secret ingredient is sweet potatoes. I always have  hard time to fight the urge to go back for seconds or thirds but I hold back since I know there is plenty of more yummy food to come.

That night, I left my aunts house pleasantly full and inspired to make my own Matza Ball soup. So this afternoon, I made myself my own version of the soup. Here is how I did it.



What you need: 
- Non stick pot
- Peeler
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife

Chicken Soup: 
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 large chicken breasts (with or without bone)
- 2 medium onions
- 1/2 pound of carrots
- 1/2 pound of celery
- 6 cups of water
- 1 vegetable bouillon
- Salt and pepper to taste

Matza ball:
- 2 packets of Matza ball soup mix
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbs olive oil

Heat your non stick pot with 2 tbs of olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over your chicken breast and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Pour 6 cup of water over your chicken breast and cover with a lid. Let the chicken and water boil for about 25-30 minutes until the chicken falls apart. Remove the chicken from the pot.

Peal your carrots. Chop onions, carrots and celery about 1/2 an inch thick. Place your chopped vegetables and vegetable bouillon in the water. Cook for 30 minutes.

While your vegetables are cooking, make your Matza balls. Pour the contents of two Matza packets into a bowl. Mix in 4 large eggs and 2 tbs of olive oil and stir until the mixture is incorporated. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Roll the Matza mix into little balls and place in the soup as well as the shredded chicken. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the balls have doubled in size.


You can serve the soup as a started or you can have it as your meal. I like to sprinkle in hot red pepper and freezer dried corn to add an added kick and a crunch. It is the perfect meal to serve on a cold and rainy evening! Enjoy!

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment